Who are the Kia boys?

I’m sure many of you have heard about the “Kia boys” who just got a 2020 Forte. How can I stop thieves from stealing my car? Thanks!

To stop thieves from stealing your car you need to do the following:

1. Use a Steering Wheel Lock: Acts as a visible deterrent.
  2. Upgrade Car Alarm: Makes your car less attractive to thieves.
  3. Install a Kill Switch: Prevents the car from starting without your knowledge.
  4. Park in Secure Areas: Reduces the chance of theft.
  5. Consider a GPS Tracker: Helps in recovering the car if stolen.

Combining these strategies can greatly decrease the likelihood of your car being targeted by thieves.

1 Like

In Rochester, NY, since the end of August, there have been over 3000 car thefts. 355% increase in the first half of the year.

Mostly kids around the age of 14, joyriding and doing stupid stuff out on the street that’s going to eventually get them seriously hurt or killed. They get caught and return to their parents bc they’re juveniles, just to be caught doing the same thing a few days later.

The highest number I remember hearing is that one kid has been connected to at least 18 stolen vehicles.

Don’t worry, I hear you! The “Kia boys” trend is concerning, but there are steps you can take to make your Kia, especially a 2020 Forte, less attractive to thieves. Here’s how:

• Simple but Effective: Always lock your doors and windows, even for quick stops. This might seem obvious, but it’s the easiest way to deter casual attempts.
  • Be a Smarter Parker: Park in well-lit areas with cameras whenever possible. If you have a garage, use it! Thieves prefer to work under cover of darkness and away from prying eyes.
  • Visual Deterrents: Consider a visible steering wheel lock or brake lock. These might not be foolproof, but they can slow down a thief and make them think twice.
  • Upgrade Your Alarm: If your Forte doesn’t have an alarm system already, think about adding an aftermarket one with a loud siren and flashing lights.
  • Tech it Out: Look into installing a GPS tracker or a dashcam. While they can’t prevent theft, they can significantly increase the chances of getting your car back if it is stolen.
  • Check for Software Updates: Kia issued software updates in late 2021 and 2022 to address vulnerabilities exploited by the “Kia boys.” Make sure your Forte is up to date on all software updates from Kia [Source needed on Kia software update].

Remember, even with these steps, there’s no guaranteed way to prevent theft entirely. But by making your car a tougher target, you can discourage thieves and keep your Forte safe.

1 Like

These steps can help deter theft and keep your Kia Forte safe. Remember, even with precautions, there’s no foolproof method, but making your car a tougher target goes a long way.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing these effective strategies! Combining them can indeed significantly decrease the risk of car theft. Visible deterrents like steering wheel locks, upgraded alarms, and kill switches make theft less appealing, while parking in secure areas and using GPS trackers enhance security measures.