Is there a similarity between Hyundai and Kia?

I’ve been doing some research online, checking out forums and https://kiatalk.com/ threads, but I’m still a bit confused about the distinction between Hyundai and Kia. I get that they use similar chassis and parts, but I’m curious about what sets them apart from each other.

Unlike GM, which has different brand philosophies like performance with Pontiac, entry-level luxury with Buick, and so on, I’m wondering if Hyundai and Kia have distinct identities. It’s getting more intriguing as Hyundai keeps stepping up its game in the market.

Any help on this!

1 Like

Well, KIA usually goes for a sportier look, while Hyundai tends to be a bit more refined in their styling. Just take a look at the KIA K5 and the Hyundai Sonata - you’ll see the difference in both the exterior and interior design.

2 Likes

Exactly! It’s kind of like how Chevy and Pontiac used to be - each with its own distinct style and vibe.

1 Like

Ah, got it! So, in a way, it’s like saying Kia is to Chevy as Hyundai is to Buick, right?

1 Like

That’s a good point! It might seem that way, but it turns out Hyundai is actually the one with the performance brand and a big presence in motorsports, whereas Kia isn’t as much into that scene.

Hyundai and Kia share a significant similarity as both are part of the Hyundai Motor Group. This relationship allows them to share platforms, technology, engines, and transmissions, leading to similarities in performance, reliability, and innovation across their vehicle ranges.

Despite each brand maintaining its unique design philosophy and market positioning, offering distinct vehicle lineups, they do collaborate

There are a lot of similarities, but this makes sense until you realize that Hyundai is the one with the Performance brand and is prevalent in motorsports.

Kia is not