Can an LFA (Lane Following Assist) system become uncalibrated?

I have a 2023 KIA Sportage with camera-based driving assists, including Lane Following Assist (LFA), which has performed flawlessly since new. It perfectly centers the car in the lane, navigates gentle curves well, and operates independently over long stretches of road. I’ve demonstrated its performance many times, so I’ve observed it closely since day one.

However, I’ve noticed a problem this winter. The LFA now places the car significantly toward the right side of the lane, almost touching the right-hand lane markers. It seems as if the system has become uncalibrated, but there haven’t been any collisions, bumps, or potholes. The vehicle has low mileage, and the tires, suspension, and roads are all in good condition. The windshield is clear, and the camera is still functioning well.

There haven’t been any changes to the software, BCM, firmware, or recalls. The only significant event was a two-month period when the vehicle’s battery was changed and possibly disconnected for an extended time.

Could the extended battery disconnection have caused the LFA system to lose its factory calibration? What could have caused this shift in its performance?

Honestly, I find your observation about the LFA system quite intriguing. I find it worrisome that the car is no longer staying centered in the lane like it used to.

It’s highly likely that the extended battery disconnection caused the LFA system to lose its calibration. This system relies on a complex interplay of sensors and software, and disconnecting the battery can disrupt this delicate balance. While the LFA camera seems to function correctly, the system’s software might have been affected. It’s recommended to visit a Kia dealership for a recalibration or software update. They have specialized equipment and software to address these issues.