2024 Sportage SX Prestige Hybrid: Can You Leave the Car Running While It's Locked?

Does anyone know if it’s possible to leave the 2024 Sportage running (with the AC on) while parked, and then walk away with the doors locked? I can’t find a clear answer on this.

1 Like

I’m a 2023 Hybrid owner. To lock the car while it’s running, someone needs to be inside to lock it manually. The car won’t lock from the keyfob if you walk away while it’s still running. Another option is to remotely start it using the app or FOB, but keep in mind that this method usually turns off after 5–10 minutes.

Unfortunately, you can’t leave your 2024 Sportage running with the AC on while locked. Most modern cars, including the Sportage, have safety features that prevent this. The engine will automatically shut off if you lock the doors while the car is running. It’s a safety precaution to prevent theft and accidents.

I drive a 2023 Hybrid and ran into a similar issue with locking the car while it’s running. Here’s what I’ve figured out: if you need to lock it while it’s still running, someone has to stay inside and lock it manually. Unfortunately, the keyfob won’t lock it if you walk away with the engine on. Another trick is to use the remote start feature via the app or FOB, but remember, this method typically shuts off after 5–10 minutes, which can be a bit inconvenient. Hope this helps!