2019 Sorento Steering Grinding Issue—Misdiagnosis?

Hey all,

I’ve got a 2019 Kia Sorento SXL, FWD with the 3.3 V6, and I’m dealing with a frustrating steering grinding issue. The only code I’m getting is C1814 for the steering angle sensor. It has the rack-mounted power steering motor, and we’ve already replaced the rack with a used unit, but the problem is still there, exactly the same as before.

I’m starting to wonder if this might’ve been misdiagnosed. Has anyone else experienced something similar or have any ideas on what else could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated :wink:

A while back, I was dealing with a similar issue on my 2019 Kia Sorento SXL with the 3.3 V6—an annoying grinding sound from the steering, and like you, I only got the C1814 code for the steering angle sensor. I replaced the steering rack with a used one, hoping it would fix the problem, but the grinding persisted just as before. After some digging, I started to suspect that the issue might have been misdiagnosed. It turned out that the problem was actually with the steering angle sensor itself, which was throwing off the entire system. Once I replaced the sensor and recalibrated it, the grinding stopped. You might want to look into the sensor and calibration as potential culprits.

Howdy buddies, :grin:a grinding noise in the steering of a 2019 Kia Sorento is a major issue that must be addressed immediately. Misdiagnoses might result in unnecessary repairs or even safety hazards.