Will kia ev9 qualify for tax credit?

I signed for the car on December 30, 2023, and asked the local dealership about the tax credit for getting an EV. They assured me that all I needed to do was add the yellow paper to my tax filing, and I would get up to a $7,500 credit. Easy enough, right?

Now that it’s time to file taxes, I did some research on this site: Federal Tax Credits for Plug-in Electric and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After. It turns out Kia isn’t qualified for the tax credit.

What can I do?

4 Likes

First, I recommend contacting the dealership’s sales manager and explaining the situation.

They might be able to offer some compensation for the misinformation, such as free maintenance or accessories.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about the confusion. Unfortunately, if Kia doesn’t qualify for the federal tax credit, you won’t be able to claim it despite what the dealership told you. Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Contact the Dealership: Explain the situation and ask for clarification or any alternative incentives they might offer.
  2. State Incentives: Check if your state offers any EV incentives or rebates.
  3. Tax Professional: Consult a tax professional to explore any other potential benefits or deductions related to your EV purchase.

It’s important to verify such details independently before making financial decisions.

1 Like

Hey @KIADOC,
The Kia EV9 can get the $7,500 federal EV tax credit. To qualify, cars must cost less than $80,000 and be made in North America. The EV9 will be Kia’s first electric car made in North America.

To qualify for the federal EV tax credit, the vehicle must meet certain criteria, including being a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle acquired for use or lease and having a battery capacity of at least 5 kWh. Most electric cars, including those manufactured by Kia, meet these requirements.

Kia says the new manufacturing plant will include an EV battery facility. It will go online a bit later, but when it does, the EV9 should qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit. Kia expects the EV9 to qualify for the full credit by 2025. Kia fully expects to slot the EV9 right into place this coming May.

Kia EV9s manufactured in South Korea, which is most currently available models, do not qualify for the full $7,500 federal tax credit under the Inflation Reduction Act.