Why are KIAs being stolen?

I always bump into this question in many search engines and thought to seek answers from fellow KIA enthusiasts. I haven’t experienced theft with my 2023 Kia Sportage, I must say.

Personally, I’ve been cruising around in my 2023 Kia Sportage for a while now, and thankfully, I haven’t had any sticky fingers trying to nab it. It’s been smooth sailing on that front.

I’m a Kia owner myself, and let me tell you, it’s been a wild ride lately. Turns out, some Kia models, especially those from 2011 to 2021 without push-to-start buttons, lack a security system called an immobilizer. This means criminals can bypass the ignition using everyday tools, and social media videos have unfortunately shown exactly how. Kia and Hyundai are aware of the problem and are offering software updates, but until then, these older Kias are prime targets for thieves.

1 Like

This has been a mystery to me aswell. Can someone explain and give further details why this is hapenning and what measures I can take.

It sounds like you’re experiencing some confusion or uncertainty about a particular situation. To provide more specific advice or information, could you please clarify what you’re referring to? This will help me give you a more accurate and helpful response.