KIA Sorento Ratings

I’m a low-mileage driver and primarily use my car for longer trips. What are the main concerns? Consumer Reports didn’t provide much detail.

1 Like

Even if you don’t drive a lot, going on longer trips means you’ve got some specific things to think about:

1. Maintenance: Even if you’re not hitting high mileage, regular check-ups are still key to keeping your car in good shape. Think oil changes, tire rotations, and brake checks.
  2. Tires: Quality tires are super important for those longer journeys. Keep an eye on their condition and tread depth, even if they’re not wearing out quickly.
  3. Emergency Prep: It’s always smart to be prepared, especially on longer trips. Make sure you’ve got essentials like a spare tire, jumper cables, and a roadside assistance kit handy.

While Consumer Reports might not cover all the bases for low-mileage, long-trip drivers, you can always look to other sources like forums or talk to a mechanic for more tailored advice.

1 Like

As a low-mileage driver focusing on longer trips, your main concerns typically revolve around ensuring proper maintenance despite infrequent use. Pay attention to battery health, tire pressure, and fluid levels. Also, be mindful of potential issues due to extended periods of inactivity, such as fuel degradation or corrosion. Regular inspections and occasional short drives can help mitigate these concerns.

I am a low-mileage driver who takes longer trips occasionally. Consumer Reports didn’t mention many specifics - are there any particular concerns I should be aware of for this type of driving pattern?

So, regular maintenance is key for infrequent driving with longer trips.

Are there any specific maintenance tasks I should prioritize, or any resources you can recommend to learn more about caring for a car in this situation?

As a low-mileage driver who mainly uses the car for longer trips, there are a few things to watch out for:

1. Battery Health: If you don’t drive your car often, the battery can lose its charge. I had this issue after a two-week vacation, and my car wouldn’t start. Try driving your car for 20-30 minutes every couple of weeks or use a trickle charger.

2. Tire Maintenance: Tires can develop flat spots if a car sits too long. A friend had to replace her tires because of this. Moving your car a bit now and then and checking tire pressure can help.

3. Fluids and Fuel: Gasoline can break down after a while, and fluids can settle. Keeping your gas tank half full and checking oil and other fluids regularly is important.

4. Brakes: Brakes can get stiff or noisy if not used. I noticed this when I left my car sitting for a while. Driving your car occasionally helps keep the brakes in good shape.

5. Rodents and Pests: Cars that sit for long periods can attract rodents. My uncle had mice build a nest in his engine. Parking in a garage or using repellents can help.