Can you buy KIA stock in the US?

Hello everyone,

I’m new to investing. Like many others, I opened a brokerage account to buy just one share of GME (because of the hype), and now I want to make smarter, long-term investments.

I’ve been thinking about investing in Kia. I’ve owned a Kia for a while, I’m happy with it, and I’ve noticed Kia’s reputation getting better. I also heard about the big deal between Apple and Kia.

But I’m confused about what exactly to buy. When I search for Kia on ETRADE, I see KIMTF stocks for $30.30, but there’s no history or data on the stock value. On my iPhone’s stock ticker app, I find Kia as 00027.KS, and it has the full history of the stock, but it’s in Korean won, not USD. I can’t find this on ETRADE.

Can someone please explain the difference and tell me what I need to buy to get stock in Kia?

Thanks.

1 Like

Investing in Kia directly isn’t as straightforward as you might think because;

KIMTF:This is likely an OTC (Over-the-Counter) stock with limited info and trading options. Not recommended for beginners.

00027.KS: This is Kia Motors on the Korean Stock Exchange . It’s the real deal, but trades in Korean Won.

For Kia stock investment, i would advice; Major US brokers like ETRADE offering Korean stocks. Look for 00027.KS or KIA Motors

keep in mind that Kia’s reputation is improving, but do your research before investing in any stock, not just based on brand experience.

While Kia stock isn’t directly listed on a U.S. exchange, it is available for trading on the OTC (over-the-counter) market.
KIMTF is the ticker symbol for Kia Motors Corporation on the OTC (Over-The-Counter) markets in the United States. The OTC markets are less regulated than major exchanges like the NYSE or Nasdaq, and stocks here can be traded via broker-dealers. The price you see ($30.30) is in USD, but OTC stocks may not have as much historical data available on all platforms, which could explain why you’re not seeing the history or data on ETRADE.
000270.KS is the ticker symbol for Kia Corporation on the Korea Exchange (KRX), and it’s traded in Korean won (KRW).
Regarding the deal between Apple and Kia, it has been reported that Apple is close to finalizing a deal with Hyundai-Kia to manufacture an Apple-branded autonomous electric vehicle at the Kia assembly plant in West Point, Georgia. This could potentially be a significant development for Kia, influencing the company’s future prospects.
If you want to invest in Kia through ETRADE, you would likely be looking to buy KIMTF since it’s the version available in USD.

The difference you’re seeing between KIMTF and 00027.KS is due to how Kia’s stock is traded:

KIMTF: This is an OTC (Over-the-Counter) stock. OTC stocks are traded directly between buyers and sellers, outside of major stock exchanges. They are generally less regulated and have lower trading volume than exchange-listed stocks. E*TRADE might offer some OTC stocks, but KIMTF likely isn’t one of them.

00027.KS: This is the ticker symbol for Kia Motors Corporation stock traded on the Korea Stock Exchange (KRX). This is Kia Motors’ main listing, offering the most liquidity and historical data.

Considerations for Investing in Kia:

Buying Korean Stocks:

• Process Complexity: US investors can buy stocks on the Korean Stock Exchange, but it can be more complex than buying US-listed stocks. You might need a broker that allows international trading.
  • Currency Conversion Fees: There may be fees involved for converting currency.

Alternatives:

• US-Listed ETFs: Consider US-listed ETFs (Exchange-Traded Funds) that hold Korean stocks, including Kia. This can be a more convenient way to gain exposure to the Korean stock market without the complexities of buying individual stocks directly on the KRX.

Certainly! Although Kia stock isn’t directly listed on a U.S. exchange, it is available on the over-the-counter (OTC) market for investors. To buy or sell Kia stock in the U.S.you’ll need an account with a broker-dealer that supports OTC stock trading.