Brake Bleeding required after pad replacement?

Hey there,

I’m in the process of changing my brakes and have a couple of questions:

1. Is it necessary to bleed the brakes?
  2. If so, do you know where I can find a manual or any instructional resources?

I’m aware of the general rule to start from the farthest brake, but I’m hoping to find a video or some more specific guidance, particularly regarding the type of brake fluid needed. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Brake bleeding isn’t mandatory after a simple brake pad replacement, but it is recommended for a few reasons:

1. Air Introduction: There’s a small chance that air bubbles might enter the brake system while compressing the piston to make space for the new pads. Air in the brake lines can cause a spongy brake pedal and reduce braking performance. Bleeding the brakes removes any trapped air.
  2. Moisture Removal: Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time, which can lower the boiling point of the fluid and lead to brake fade during hard braking. Bleeding the brakes helps to flush out the old fluid and replace it with fresh fluid, maintaining a higher boiling point.

Sounds like you’re tackling a brake change yourself.

Good on you! Bleeding the brakes is usually necessary to remove any air that might have gotten into the system during the replacement process.

Air in the brake lines can make your brakes spongy and less effective.