Are Kia and Hyundai the same company?

Can someone clarify the relationship between Kia and Hyundai for me? I have heard conflicting information about whether they are the same company or not. While I know they share a South Korean origin and have similar product offerings, I’m curious about the specifics of their connection.

1 Like

Kia and Hyundai function as separate entities, with Hyundai serving as the parent company of Kia. While both companies operate under distinct brand philosophies, they each tailor their vehicle production uniquely. Thus, while there is a connection between them, they remain distinct entities.

I don’t know whether to answer you yes or no because, though Kia and Hyundai operate differently as separate entities, Hyundai is the parent company of Kia Motors. Hence both Kia and Hyundai operate under the umbrella of the Hyundai Motor Group

1 Like

Kia and Hyundai are independent automakers, yet they have a strong tie. Both are from South Korea and share finances due to Hyundai Motor Group’s ownership of Kia. Despite having unique brands and identities, they work together on technology, platforms, and share some components. Nonetheless, they maintain distinct brand identities and rivalry on the market.

Not exactly the same company, but they are close cousins under one roof. Hyundai Motor Group owns a major share of Kia, rescuing them from bankruptcy in the 1990s. Today, they operate independently with their own design philosophies, but they might share some parts and technology behind the scenes to keep costs down. So, while you’ll find them at separate dealerships, they both come from the same family.